13 April 2008

V is for Viszla... W is for Weimaraner...

As I write, I'm finishing my 2007 taxes (with 2 days to spare if you'll believe that), and watching two pooped pups laze on a sofa. I'm on day 3 of a week of dog sitting quite the pair of specimens of Man's best friend. They're both gorgeous creatures, but are thoroughly wearing me out. We eat together, read together, sleep together... when I forgot to close the bathroom door when filling the tub, we almost ended up bathing together. They have insatiable needs to go outside every 5 minutes to run around, and then almost immediately they make a fabulous ruckus expressing urgent need to get back inside... to rest? no, to run around the couch ferociously. The shear energy of these two is exhausting me... They are both sweet creatures though. The darling little Vizla, Brooks, needs imperatively to sit within a yard of my face, wherever that may be, and whine sweetly in some sort of pained affection. That, or sit right at my feet and scan incessantly while huffing and grumbling at all the potential threats that may be responsible for the minor noises of the surrounding neighborhood. The photos below don't totally capture these draining experiences, but they're all I've got... I'm experiencing digital camera "issues" these days, so am taking pics with my computer...

This is a really deceptive photograph. Kele, the Weimaraner, usually doesn't sit still. This photo reminds me of the famous William Wegman Weimaraners...







This was funny... I was warned this might happen... and it did... fortunately there wasn't much water in the tub, though to my touch it was scalding... crazy little girl...





In any case, we're having fun, but I'm not sure these are the breed for me. What I find endlessly fascinating is the predictive ability of the breed description. These little creatures are such obedient servants to their genetic destiny. They're rather closely related breeds actually. If you're interested, see Wiki entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Vizsla
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weimaraner

No comments: